Thursday, January 24, 2013

My Date

Ainsley had 2.5 years to be an only child.  In that time I thought about how it must be so unfair for second, third, forth, etc, etc children.  They never get that absolute, undivided, long-term attention from Mom and Dad.

Even still, it always seems more convenient to be alone with Ainsley.  She has half days on Monday.  My aunt usually picks her up and she gets 2 whole hours of Ainsley time with Aunt Linda before I walk in the door with Freddie.  Or if I work from home, we have time to kill before starting our evening.

Maybe it's because the new baby's coming.  Maybe it's because I notice how attentive and responsive Freddie is when he has my full attention.  Maybe it's because I've been a huge sap lately.  For whatever reason, when I got out of work early last Friday I decided that Freddie and I needed a date.  Just the two of us.

I never pick him up early.  If I leave work early, he's in the middle of a nap.  But Friday, I just decided that the one on one time was more important than a 3 hour nap.  So I stood over his little cot and watched his sleepy eyes change from confusion to excitement as I came into focus.  He jumped up and into my arms and rested his head on my shoulder and said "Mommy, I yike you."

"I like you too Freddie.  Do you want to go do something fun?"

"Yeah," he shouted as he squirmed out of my arms and ran to get his jacket.

I got him in the car and asked what he wanted to do.  Golf...of course.

Not real golf, obviously I am not crazy.  But Freddie's favorite store is Dick's Sporting Goods.  And they have a putting green set up with tiny putters for little guys and gals.

So we went.  And while we were there we played soccer and badminton with a basketball.  We dressed in baseball gear and talked about lacrosse sticks. 




But mostly we golfed.




And when he was done with that he asked to go to the mall.  So we did.



And then he asked for a pretzel, so we had one.



Then I bought him a baseball hat because he's been asking for one for ages.



Then I had to hold him down for a picture of the two of us. 



Because even though he's much more cooperative when he has my full attention...he's still Freddie...still my crazy monster.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews