Friday, April 20, 2012

Letting Go

Each step your child takes towards an independent life is both exhilarating and crushing.  To see this little kid take a gigantic leap forward is amazing.  I mean you knew her when she was squirmy and tiny and could barely hold her head up.  And that was just a few short years ago.

We've been working on bike riding.  It's going way better than I could have imagined.



Freddie's already coasting for a few seconds at a time on the balance bike.  Ainsley is pedaling so fast that I can barely keep up with her.

I hold the bike as she climbs on.  She says "Okay, we will go really fast down the hill then when we get to that black mailbox you let go.  Or I will tell you to let go."

I hold her shoulders and she begins pedaling, I don't even have to push, just steady every once in awhile, but really she's gotten that down too.

I run beside her and she screams "Let go, let go!"

But I can't, not completely.  I still sense her shakiness.  I can feel the wobbles in her balance.

She's ready to make the leap and go on her own.  I'm afraid to see her fall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews