Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Veggie Stuffed Crescent Rolls

Two of my three children are not very picky eaters.  Ainsley will try anything.  There are core items that she doesn't like...for one...Berries.  Drives me crazy that she doesn't like berries.  But for the most part, she eats what I make except for the rare occasion that I try something crazy and it doesn't sit well with her.  But she always takes a bite.

Cohen will eat anything.  Period.  Even if he tries it and spits it out, he'll usually take another bite.

Then there's Freddie.

Every night Freddie comes to the table and starts crying "Ugh!  I don't like this.  I want peanut butter and jelly.  Why do you always make things I don't like?"

Well, if I only made things Freddie liked, we'd all be malnourished.

So every night we have to fight with him to get him to eat.  To try anything on his plate.  I thought it was a phase but it's been going on for years.  I've tried everything...unless you have some new ideas, then please feel free to share.  I add veggies to things he likes...he picks them out.  I put my foot down and refuse to give him anything except what's on  his plate...he cries and goes to bed hungry.  I agree to make him something different...he eats PB&J 5 nights straight.

Recently I have implemented a system where I tell  him what we're eating all week and he can switch one meal for PB&J.

So coming up with healthy, inexpensive food that everyone - Freddie - will eat is no easy task.  We don't eat a lot of meat anymore...probably twice a week.  So I am often trying to come up with vegetable and bean recipes to keep us satisfied.  I make veggie quesadillas, veggie stir fry, roasted veggies with pasta...but no matter what, Freddie hates it and refuses to touch anything that resembles a vegetable on his plate.  The only way to get him to try a bite of broccoli or carrots is to promise dessert, which I feel is doing the opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Last night I came up with a winner, I think.  He still complained, but he did eat all but two bites on his plate.

So, I present to all you moms out there with picky eaters...Veggie Stuffed Crescent Rolls.

Okay my kids love Crescent Rolls.  Like will eat them always if I allow it, and I know they are not the best for you but guess what I found...


I about did back flips down the aisle at the grocery store when I made this discovery.  So here's my little philosophy on food.  I don't want a bunch of chemicals and unnatural crap in my food.  I truly believe this is the worst thing we can do to ourselves.  I can't always afford organic.  I don't have a sugar free house.  But whenever possible, I shop with grocers I trust and look for things that are not tainted.  This is a good seal to have in my book.

So instead of buying Pillsbury crescent rolls with high fructose corn syrup and a bunch of other things I can't pronounce...I bought these.  Are they healthy?  Not exactly, but at least I'm not putting junk that was thought up in a lab by some multi-billionaire into our bodies.

Okay, back to the recipe and off my soap box.  I had broccoli and carrots so I cut them up and threw them in a pot with garlic and salt for steaming.


Then I laid out the crescent rolls so they'd be ready for the veggies.


When the broccoli and carrots where done, I mixed them with some white navy beans and mozzarella cheese.  The vegetables were soft so as I mixed they kind of mashed and chopped up, which was good so they'd fit in the crescent rolls.

I then put a little less than a quarter cup of the mixture and rolled them up.  You can't really roll them like traditional crescent rolls, you have to fold the sides up so you have little puffs.


I then put them in the preheated oven (350) for about 18 minutes or until they were cooked through and browned.

Like I said, Freddie complained...a lot...but he did eat most of his food.  Ainsley and Cohen both had seconds.  I thought they were delicious.  Clif liked them but thought maybe I should add chicken.  Kind of defeats the purpose babe!  

Should have taken a picture of the kids eating them, but hey...I'm not a food blogger.  I don't think of these things.


Veggie Stuffed Crescent Rolls
Ingredients:
-2.5 cups veggies of your choice (I used broccoli and carrots)
-2 cloves Garlic
-1 tsp Sea Salt
-2 cans of crescent rolls
-1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
-1 can beans of your choice (I used white cannellini beans)

Preheat oven to 350.  Roast or steam veggies with garlic and salt.  Lay out crescent rolls.  When vegetables are steamed and becoming soft, mix them up with beans and cheese.  Place about a quarter cup, maybe a little less, of mixture on each roll.  Roll up being sure to close the edges.  Bake in preheated oven for about 18 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews