Wednesday, February 1, 2012

According to Ainsley - Bedtime

BOOM!

Pat-pat-pat-pat-pat-pat-pat...

POP!  Creek...

Clink!

I look at the clock...10:35.  Apparently a certain little girl is not as asleep as she was an hour ago when I checked on her.

I step quietly up the stairs until her little head comes into view.

"Ainsley?  Did you wake up to go potty?" I ask.

She nods.

I think about the oddness of this and ask, "Did you pee in the bed at all?"

She shakes her head, "But I spilled just a little bit of water in your bed."

"In my bed?"

"Yes, I was watching Phineas and Ferb," she explains as she washes her hands.

"Oh really?  Why aren't you sleeping?  It's very late."

"Well, I did sleep but then I was awake and then I was thinking that we could watch some TV, but you never came to your room," she answers.

"I checked on you an hour ago and you were asleep.  How long have you been in my room?"

She looks up at the ceiling, weighing this idiotic question since she has no concept of time and replies "Twenty."  Then she scoots past me and wanders down the hall.

I follow her into my room, where she is indeed watching Phineas and Ferb.

"Ainsley, I want you to go back to your bed.  It's very late sweetie and little girls need to be sleeping."

"Mommy, I already told you...I went to sleep, now it's time to watch TV."

"Ainsley, sleeping for a couple of hours is not good enough.  You need to sleep all night so you can wake up and be a happy child in the morning."

"I'm not tired," she replies.

I ponder this for a moment.  We've been working very hard at getting Ainsley to go to sleep on her own, and so far it's been working well.  I'm worried that if I push this issue and force her back to bed it will end in a screaming match and tomorrow we'll be back at square one.

"OK Ainsley, just this once, I'm going to allow you to watch this show while I finish making Daddy's lunch.  I'll be up in 10 minutes and then it's time to sleep.  Do you understand?"

"That's a deal mommy."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews