Wednesday, November 2, 2011

According to Ainsley - Bedtime


Yay, According to Ainsley is back!  I really love this weekly theme, I'm sorry it's been gone for so long.  I like the idea, that one day when Ainsley is older, I can let her read all of these.  I'm sure she'll get a kick out of them.

Okay, so a little background on this one.  Ainsley's a bad sleeper...you know, right?  If you've read my blog at all over the last 3.5 years, then you know this.  She doesn't go to sleep without a fight, she can't put herself to sleep, and she doesn't sleep through the night.

One night, last week was particularly bad.  I was at my wits end and could feel that I was getting ready to snap.  I had been lying with her for over an hour and I had diapers to wash and a basement to clean and lunch to pack and it was going on 10 o'clock.

So I got up, told her to stay in bed and not to wake Freddie and I walked out of the room.  She immediately started screaming and I decided I just needed to let it happen.  So I went down stairs.  I wasn't downstairs 5 minutes when I heard little feet and sniffling coming down the stairs. 

Clif and I walked her back upstairs and we both sat in bed with her.

Clif: Ainsley, it's time for bed.  You need to go to sleep.
Ainsley: I know, but I am not tired.
Me: If you don't go to sleep you'll be really tired tomorrow.
Ainsley: Can the puppies come in here?
Clif: Sometimes, does Brinkley get in bed with you?
Ainsley: Yes, he likes to come in my bed and then we can cuddle.
Clif: Does it wake you up when he gets in bed with you?
Ainsley: Yes.
Clif: Is that when you come into Mommy and Daddy's room?
Ainsley: Yes.
Clif: Well how about, instead of coming into Mommy and Daddy's room you cuddle with Brinkley and go back to sleep.

She thinks about this.

Ainsley: Well, I do sometimes go back to sleep.  But sometimes I have to come in your room so I can tell you something and then I am going to come back to my room and cuddle with Brink Brink and go back to sleep.
Clif: So you don't want to sleep with us, you just have to tell us something.
Ainsley (giggles and sighs): Um, yes Daddy.  I don't want to sleep with you sometimes.  Sometimes I just want to tell you something and come back to my room because my room is so beautiful.
Clif: Okay, well from now on how about you just tell me something then come back to your bed.

She thinks again.

Ainsley: Um, well, I think that I don't want to sleep in my bed. I think that when I wake up I will just sleep in your bed.

That night, Clif went to bed and I sat at the foot of Ainsley's bed while she didn't go to sleep.  I fell asleep propped up against her stuffed animals.  When I woke up at 3AM, she was snuggled up next to me at the foot of the bed.  I went to my own bed and 30 minutes later, she's opening the door and climbing in between us.  And so begins our nightly dance...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews